To quickly summarize the importance behind Harvard’s new push to open a Food Law Lab:
- “Sell by” and “best by” dates on food have no relationship to safety and are not federally regulated. Americans throw 160 billion pounds of food a year.
- World’s biggest pork producer was purchased by a Chinese company with a jaded history.
- Some countries are now rejecting American grown products outright because of the controversial safety of genetically modified foods
- Agribusiness and meat industry are polluting air and groundwater
- Food workers don’t earn enough to feed their own families.